About MTCO Communications
Founding of Marseilles Telephone Company
The Marseilles Telephone roots go deep in the community as it was incorporated in 1895, fourteen years after the first patent was taken out by Alexander Graham Bell.
The company was sold to A.R. Workman and A.D Hunter in 1915 and the telephone office and switchboard were located in the top floor of Collins Store. One interesting statistic of this period is that operators were paid 10 cents an hour during the week and 25 cents an hour for Sunday. The outside plant was first upgraded and in 1931 the office and new equipment was established at 455 Main Street, a former meat market.
After World War II, Keith Hunter returned to the telephone company shortly before the death of his grandfather, Mr. Workman. He then assumed the management of the company with the declining health of his father, A.D. "Archie" Hunter.
The building at 453 Main Street was acquired, and with the installation of dial equipment, the last local operators were finished in early 1963.
In 1987 the Rauh family, owners of Metamora Telephone Company, purchased and took over operations of the company. Plans were implemented to completely upgrade the outside plant both in Marseilles and the surrounding rural area. In 1989 a new office was constructed at 244 Lincoln Street. In 1990, a new digital switching system from Nortel Networks was installed in the new office, and work continued for the outside plant to transition from aerial cable to get to 100 percent of the company's cable underground.
When the opportunity arose to become a minority partner in a cellular venture, MTCO became the Network and Operating Partner of Illinois Valley Cellular in 1991. Illinois Valley Cellular (now IVCellular) increased tower coverage, converted to digital technology, and expanded office space twice, and again a third time in 2002 to a new 22,000 square foot office building along the Illinois River in Marseilles.
In early 2008 next generation Fiber-To-The-Home phone and Internet service was introduced to small sections just outside its service areas with continued plans to expand our Fiber footprint. MTCO's latest endeavor was launching All-Digital IPTV service with new bundled packages for Internet, TV and Voice in early 2011 to Germantown Hills, Marseilles and Metamora.
Glenn Rauh, leads the company as president and CEO, and Glenn's brother, Allen Rauh, serves as Vice President of the Corporation. Glenn's daughter Ann Dickerson is Chief Financial Officer, and Allen's daughter Melissa Rauh is involved with the cellular operations as Chief Operating Officer. Rounding out the executive team at MTCO is Brian Kettman, Chief Technology Officer, Doug Hawk, Director of Network Services and Tina Glidewell, Director of Sales and Marketing.
Read more about...
► our mission / MTCO Today
► giving back to the community/ past awards
► founding Metamora Telephone Company
► fiber optics and the future